- Still your mind – do some personal meditation or yoga in the hall or overlooking the view on the eastern slope – a great way to start the day. Or ask if there are any yoga group happening at the moment! Book in for a massage or healing session with our qualified and experienced therapists who may be in residence (fee for service). Check for availability.
- Relax and read a book – Our shared library in the community house has plenty of good books – ranging from fiction through to personal and spiritual growth, to permaculture and much more
- Spot the wildlife – platypuses living in our spring-fed dam, wallabies (usually near our front gate around sunset), whip birds (you will hear them in the morning and often see one in our carport), tawny frogmouth owls (in the centre of our site), kookaburras, rare frogs, micro-bats, bush turkeys.
- Play games – table tennis, board games in the Community House
- Learn about organic gardening and permaculture – help out in our gardens, read a permaculture book or watch a permaculture DVD from our library
- Entertainment – DVDs can be viewed in the community cinema
- Use the internet – in our Community House (plug in your own computer or use the community computer when available).
- Take a walk – to Mapleton National Park (2 km from Bellbunya up Buckby Road – a small dirt road), to Point Glorious for the views (a 3-5 hour return walk up Buckby Road – take plenty of water)
- Paddle a canoe or go swimming in our spring-fed dam
- Go jogging up into Mapleton National Park – a beautiful experience in the morning or in the late afternoon light
10 minutes drive from Bellbunya, Eumundi is a beautiful, historic town with cafes, restaurants, art galleries, a chocolate factory and interesting shops. Visit the famous Eumundi Markets on Saturday or Wednesday mornings for local arts and crafts, live music, street theatre, a plethora of international food, creative fashion.
Free entry to the Eumundi Museum.
Have a coffee and browse the wide range of new and fascinating used books at Berkelouw Books.
The Australian Body Art Carnivale in May is Australia’s premier body art event, attracting artists and spectators from across Australia and overseas.
Visit the Eumundi Food Fest for fabulous food in August each year.
Kenilworth: 15 minutes drive west of Bellbunya.
Picturesque old country town, well known for the Kenilworth Cheese Factory (take a tour and sample their dairy delights) and jumping off point for the spectacular Conondale National Park for picnics, camping, swimming and the Conondale Range Great Walk (a four day wilderness walk).
Yandina Street Fair
Visit the Yandina Street Fair in August (Sunday 19 August 2012), about 20 minutes drive south east of Bellbunya.
Yandina is also the home of the Blue House at the Yandina Community Gardens, where regular Saturdays talks are held on topics as varied as edible weeds and sustainable houses.
Visit the Majestic Theatre (one of the few pre World War Two theatres still in operation) in Pomona, about 20 minutes north of Bellbunya.
Other small towns worth visiting include: Montville (a 40 minute drive) for boutique shops and cafes, European village character and magnificent views, Maleny (a 45 minute drive) for similarly stunning views, alternative lifestyles and interesting cafes, and Crystal Waters Permaculture Village (a 45 minute drive) for the markets and music events and festivals.
Bellbunya sits on the edge of the beautiful Mary Valley, a great region for outdoor lovers.
Other Sunshine Coast markets: There are numerous weekend and some weekday markets in nearly all the surrounding towns, including Cooroy, Nambour, Pomona, The Big Pineapple, Yandina, Mudjimba, Coolum, Mapleton, Kenilworth, Buderim, Noosa, Maroochydore, Cotton Tree, and Peregian.
A majority of them sell fresh and tasty local produce, along with a variety of other items that ranges from apparel, novelties, handcrafts, foodstuffs and bric-a-brac.
The Sunshine Coast beaches
A 30 to 40 minute drive will get you to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, including Noosa Heads, Marcoola, Peregian, Marcoola, Maroochydore and more. Learn to surf at Noosa, have a picnic, relax, swim, or eat and go shopping.
Noosa: 30 minutes drive to some of Australia’s most superb beaches and national parks. This is a getaway spot of the rich and famous. Swim or learn to surf, spot a koala in the national park, stroll down Hastings Street with its exclusive designer shops, or eat in one the fine restaurants.
National parks and forest reserves abound, suitable for picnics, swimming, wildlife spotting, bushwalks, camping and multi day hikes. They showcase stunning coastal scenery, rainforests, mountain views and much more. Bellbunya is within easy reach (15 to 40 minutes drive) of some of the best 4-5 day walks in Queensland, including the Sunshine Coast Hinterland Great Walk, the Conondale Range Great Walk, and the Cooloola Great Walk. Also, download the guide toWalking Tracks on the Sunshine Coast. Download the Mountainbike tracks guide. Download the horse-riding trails guide.